[meteorite-list] Silica Gel effect on carbonaceous chondrites

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

 John R. Chappell kindly asked:

> I am wondering about the effects of silica gel stored with sealed
> carbonaceous chondrites. Could this remove water from these meteorites that
> normally arrive with a significant water content?

Hi John,

I would guess that it depends on if the water is liquid, and if there is any
original water in the carbonaceous chondrite. If you took a carbonaceous
chondrite, Murray for instance, you would be working with material over 50
years old.

I assume the usual ebbs and flows of humidity change have affected the
chondirites about as much as they are going to. But I have seen Murchison
crack and crumble because, for the reason I was told anyway, that it was
drying out.

However, if you live in a dry climate like I do here in Idaho, the humidity
is already fairly low so I don't imagine an even dryer environment would
stress the carbonaceous chondrite's chemistry much further than it already
is.

Just my guess though.

Cheers,

Martin