[meteorite-list] Slickenside

From: James Baxter <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

Hello Berndt,Charlie

As I recall from my past geology courses eons ago slickensides are
formed from the movement of rocks relative to each other along
fracture planes in fault zones in terrestrial rocks.A kind of cool
thing you can do is rub your finger along the grooves which make up
the slickensides.They feel rough when you move your finger in the
direction opposite to which the adjacent rock moved to form the
slickesides and smooth when you rub in the same direction the
adjacent rock moved because it sheared off any microscopic
projections or rough edges as it moved.Again based on my feeble
memory of the distant past,that's one way to determine movement
diection along a fault in the field.

I have two pieces of Zag each of which show killer slickensides so I
assume this is a common feature of Zag and must represent mechanical
disruption at some point in its history.

Best Wishes,
JIm Baxter