[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorite hunt

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:23 2004

--=====================_3361617==_.ALT

There is hope for you Mike...........just swap the teacher/student role
with Kim and you should do nicely.

It is amazing that meteorites continue to come off of Roach Dry Lake. It
has been pounded hard by the Gesslers, John Blennert and I, and countless
others.

Regards,

John

At 11:57 PM 4/3/02 -0500, Mikestockj_at_aol.com wrote:
>Hi All
>I recently had the opportunity to travel to Las Vegas for a convention.
>Fortunately I had some extra time and was able meet up with a collecting
>friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas. Some of you might have met him in
>Tucson. His name is Kim Cathcart.
>At the Tucson 2001 show I introduced him to meteorites and he instantly
>became a fan. I decided to go out in April 2001 and "teach" him how to
>find meteorites on the dry lake beds in Nevada. We searched hard for two
>days but came up empty handed. He asked me how he would know when he found
>a meteorite and I simply told him he would "just know". A couple of weeks
>later he called me up rather excited and said he had found not one but 5!
>separate fragments weighing 50-60 grams over an area of about 250' by 400'
>on Roach Lake on the Nevada/California border. I believe they are all
>probably pieces of Primm.
>Of course I was quite excited and maybe even a little proud of the fact
>that my "pupil" was ready to graduate. I was the one who received the
>graduation present as he sent me one piece to keep. He did eventually find
>another piece weighing 7.97g of a meteorite from Roach Lake that I was
>only able to identify after cutting. This might be a new one but we are
>not sure just yet.
>As I mentioned at the beginning I had another opportunity to "show" him
>how to hunt meteorites. The first day we went up to a lake by Rachel
>Nevada which is on the Extraterrestrial Highway near Area 51. No, we
>didn't see anything unusual nor did we find any meteorites.
>The next day we went to his favorite spot Roach Lake. He showed me where
>he had found the 7.97g piece this year as well as the fragments he found
>last year. We hunted in these areas but came up empty handed. We decided
>to search in another area that was full of black basalt. I was getting
>somewhat discouraged as there were literally thousands of little black
>rocks. Kim then called me over and said he wanted to show me something. Of
>course it was meteorite. I suddenly realized that I must be an amazing
>teacher as this was his 7th meteorite in less than a year! This time I
>don't even get a consolation prize as it is too beautiful to cut.
>The piece probably weighs 90-100 grams (Kim doesn't have a scale yet) with
>90% fusion crust. I would guess it is a weather grade 1-2 but still has
>fairly dark fusion crust. It looks oriented but probably isn't.
>I guess I probably should mention that I have never found a single
>meteorite. So I have decided to change my title to consultant. After all I
>can tell you what do but I just can't do it myself (my wife was a
>consultant:) ). Oh well I guess I now know what they mean by "always a
>bridesmaid and never a bride".
>I have uploaded some pictures of Kim's most recent find to our to our
>website. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

> [...]

John Gwilliam Meteorites
PO Box 26854
Tempe AZ 85285
http://www.meteoriteimpact.com
--=====================_3361617==_.ALT

There is hope for you Mike...........just swap the teacher/student role
with Kim and you should do nicely.<br>
It is amazing that meteorites continue to come off of Roach Dry
Lake.&nbsp; It has been pounded hard by the Gesslers, John Blennert and
I, and countless others.&nbsp; <br>
Regards,<br>
John&nbsp; <br>
At 11:57 PM 4/3/02 -0500, Mikestockj_at_aol.com wrote:<br>
I recently had the opportunity to travel to Las Vegas for a convention.
Fortunately I had some extra time and was able meet up with a collecting
friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas. Some of you might have met him in
Tucson. His name is Kim Cathcart. <br>
At the Tucson 2001 show I introduced him to meteorites and he instantly
became a fan. I decided to go out in April 2001 and &quot;teach&quot; him
how to find meteorites on the dry lake beds in Nevada. We searched hard
for two days but came up empty handed. He asked me how he would know when
he found a meteorite and I simply told him he would &quot;just
know&quot;. A couple of weeks later he called me up rather excited and
said he had found not one but 5! separate fragments weighing 50-60 grams
over an area of about 250' by 400' on Roach Lake on the Nevada/California
border. I believe they are all probably pieces of Primm. <br>
Of course I was quite excited and maybe even a little proud of the fact
that my &quot;pupil&quot; was ready to graduate. I was the one who
received the graduation present as he sent me one piece to keep. He did
eventually find another piece weighing 7.97g of a meteorite from Roach
Lake that I was only able to identify after cutting. This might be a new
one but we are not sure just yet. <br>
As I mentioned at the beginning I had another opportunity to
&quot;show&quot; him how to hunt meteorites. The first day we went up to
a lake by Rachel Nevada which is on the Extraterrestrial Highway near
Area 51. No, we didn't see anything unusual nor did we find any
meteorites. <br>
The next day we went to his favorite spot Roach Lake. He showed me where
he had found the 7.97g piece this year as well as the fragments he found
last year. We hunted in these areas but came up empty handed. We decided
to search in another area that was full of black basalt. I was getting
somewhat discouraged as there were literally thousands of little black
rocks. Kim then called me over and said he wanted to show me something.
Of course it was meteorite. I suddenly realized that I must be an amazing
teacher as this was his 7th meteorite in less than a year! This time I
don't even get a consolation prize as it is too beautiful to cut. <br>
The piece probably weighs 90-100 grams (Kim doesn't have a scale yet)
with 90% fusion crust. I would <u>guess</u> it is a weather grade 1-2 but
still has fairly dark fusion crust. It looks oriented but probably isn't.
I guess I probably should mention that I have never found a single
meteorite. So I have decided to change my title to consultant. After all
I can tell you what do but I just can't do it myself (my wife was a
consultant:) ). Oh well I guess I now know what they mean by &quot;always
a bridesmaid and never a bride&quot;. <br>
I have uploaded some pictures of Kim's most recent find to our to our
website. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. <br>
&lt;<a href="http://jensenmeteorites.com/coolstuff.htm" eudora="autourl">http://jensenmeteorites.com/coolstuff.htm</a>&gt;
Mike <br>
Mike Jensen <br>
Bill Jensen <br>