[meteorite-list] O.T. Comet Ikeya-Zhang image

From: Ginger Mayfield <chikadee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:23 2004

Tracy,

I've been out there trying to get a decent image of the
comet for the last 3 weeks. I've been using my digital
camera and finally got a pretty good set of images on the
29th. This is 6, 16 second images stacked, taken though a
10" Dob on a tracking platform. The comet is quite
beautiful with a bright core and long tail. It appears very
bluish green under dark skies. It should look much better
with some elevation of your viewing location. I took my
image at 9400 ft. elevation in the Colorado Rockies. Am
hoping to get a chance to image it tomorrow night when it's
very near the Andromeda Galaxy.

http://home.earthlink.net/~chikadee/cometIZ32902ip01.jpg

There are some great IZ comet images at spaceweather.com

Ginger

Tracy wrote:

Has anyone been able to get a good look/ take pictures of
this comet?
Viewing conditions in Maui have been crappy, with a nearly
constant high
overcast for the last 2 weeks, and horizon haze otherwise.
And I'm too
lazy to drive up 45 minutes to the tip-top of Haleakala and
brave the
chill and wind for 20 minutes of maybe-viewing before the
comet sets at
this latitude :-) For an island that has such great tourist
appeal, we
haven't had much amateur astronomy appeal lately.

Tracy Latimer
--admits to being a cosmic wimpout--