[meteorite-list] Desert varnish

From: Matt <Matt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:23 2004

Here is the definition from the American Geological Institute Dictionary:

desert varnish
A thin dark shiny film or coating, composed of iron oxide accompanied by
traces of manganese oxide and silica, formed on the surfaces of pebbles,
boulders, and other rock fragments in desert regions after long exposure, as
well as on ledges and other rock outcrops. It is believed to be caused by
exudation of mineralized solutions from within and deposition by evaporation
on the surface. A similar appearance produced by wind abrasion is properly
known as desert polish. Syn: desert patina; desert lacquer; desert crust;
desert rind; varnish.