[meteorite-list] Sand Dunes / Fulgerites / Meteorites

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:24 2004

Good Afternoon List,

Several days ago the topic was bantered about finding meteorites possibly by
thermal imaging -- in sand dunes. I have searched dry lake beds with some
success, and a few blow-out areas. However, living in Illinois, it takes time
and expenses to travel to Nevada, New Mexico, etc, to visit these areas. This
brings me to the question of hunting sand dunes in and around Michigan and
Indiana. Is this even worthwhile? Has anyone on the list done this? Also...if
visiting these sand dunes how does one go about looking for fulgerite? I have
several pieces purchased from a a local rock shop, but have never looked for
it in the field.

I did have the hobby of metal detecting which I did from 1969 to about 1985
and found that after a severe thunderstorm with high winds, it was the
absolutely best time to search beaches, (the sand being blown away to uncover
items).
Would one surmise that hunting meteorites in areas of sand dunes, the same
principle might apply?

Best to all,

Steven L. Sachs - http://www.geocities.com/gangwise/meteorite.html