[meteorite-list] Possibly 3 fireballs over Europe on 6-7 April

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:25 2004

"Marco Langbroek" wrote

> Dear all,
>
> Now starts to look like there might have been THREE
large fireballs over
> west Europe on the night of 6-7 April. The Bayern
event was reportedly at
> ~20:30 UTC, the Dutch/Belgian North Sea event at 0:28
UTC and the Scottish
> event at ~3:45 UTC. That is, if there is no mistake
in the time given for
> either the Dutch/Belgian or Scottish reports and
these are not one and the
> same object.
>
> Note the seeming regularity of approx. 4 hours
inbetween each appearance.
> One could perhaps think of fragments of some
fragmenting satellite or rocket
> booster re-entering for an extended period along its
orbit (this is just my
> suggestion), although Alan Pickup's Decay Watch page
does not give a clear
> candidate.
>
> Marco Langbroek (Dutch Meteor Society)

A new, or perhaps unknown meteoroid stream?

It is odd that three large bolides would be observed on
the same date and spaced about 4 hrs apart.

Then there is the odd coincidence of two of the three
observed SNC meteorites falling on the same date Oct.
3rd. Cassigny and Zagami.

Got me to wonder if the Oct 3rd 1996 Bolide over S.
California, ending over Little Lake was not an SNC...

The meteorites according to what I know of it, and
having looked in the Little Lake area should have
fallen in the northwestern section of the China Lake
military base. I wonder if they would allow a search?

Now that would be something...

Steve Schoner.