[meteorite-list] Meteorites Hitting People/Animals

From: Philip R. Burns <pib_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:26 2004

(I sent this yesterday but it doesn't appear to have been delivered
by the list server. My apologies in advance if you receive a
duplicate copy.)

At 08:32 AM 4/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all
>
>I put here a list of probably meteorites have hitting
>people/animals, is in italian language but I hope easy
>to translate, the list is from the new book of
>Dr.Cevolani on Renazzo meteorite:

Here is my rough translation of Matteo's list. Italian
is not one of my strong suits, so I wasn't certain of
how best to translate a few words.

=====

14 January 616 B.C.: more than 10 people died
following the the fall of a meteorite on the field (camp?)
of the rebellious Lu Ming-yeuh. The meteorite destroyed
a war tower (Siege engine?).

July-August 1020: some people were killed by
a rain of meteorites in North Africa.

Around 1341: a lot of people and animals were struck down
by an iron rain from the sky.

February-March 1490: Stones fell as rain. More
than 10,000 people died in the district of
Ch'ing-yang in the Province of Shansi in China. The stones
weighed 1 - 1.5 kgs.

September 14th 1511: a monk and quite a lot of animals
fell victim at Cremona, Lombardy, Italy to the
fall of many stones next to the river Adda.
The stones weighed at least 50 kgs.

1633 (?): a monk perished in Milan from a
wound to his leg caused by the fall of a meteorite.

1639: a big stone fell on a market killing
about ten people and destroying some houses
in Ch'ang-shou province in China.

1648: two sailors lost their lives following the fall of a
meteorite onto a ship sailing from Holland to Batavia.

July 24th 1790: a meteorite fell on a farmer's house
killing a farmer(?) and some livestock in Gascogne, France.

January 16th 1825: a man was killed and a woman
wounded by the fall of a meteorite in Oriang, Malwate, India.

June 30th 1874: during a storm, a big stone
fell from the sky in Chin-kuei Shan, China, destroying
a house and killing a child.

January 31st 1879: a farmer was killed by a
meteorite at Dun-le-Poelier, Indre, France.

September 5th 1907: a stone fell from the sky and killed
a whole family in Hsin-p'ai Wei, China.

June 30th 1908: two men were killed along with
about a hundred reindeer during the Tunguska event
in Siberia, Russia.

December 8th 1829: a person was killed during
a wedding in Zvezvan, Yugoslavia.

=====

-- Philip R. "Pib" Burns
    pib_at_pibburns.com