[meteorite-list] announcement of new type basaltic meteorite in 'Science'

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:26 2004

marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl wrote:

> A very interesting paper in SCIENCE today. A team of Japanese and American
> scientists has investigated the basaltic meteorite NWA 011, and discovered that
> this meteorite resembles an Eucrite but is different in some aspects, most
> notably the Oxygen Isotope composition. While Eucrite origins are linked with
> asteroid 4 Vesta, their results suggest that NWA 011 must be from another
> parent body. Palme, in his News & Views item in the same issue of Science,
> suggests the option that it is a basalt from the planet Mercury. Below the
> abstract of the Yamaguchi et al. paper.

See also:

AFANASIEV S.V. et al. (2000) Dhofar 007 and Northwest Africa 011:
Two new eucrites of different types (MAPS 35-5, Suppl., 2000, A019):

Here we report data received by studying two new eucrites, Dhofar 007
from the Oman desert and NWA 011 from the Sahara desert. Based on
chemical, petrologic, and mineralogical analyses they are classified as
cumulate (Dhofar 007) and noncumulate (NWA 011).

Best regards,

Bernd