[meteorite-list] Dhofar 026 (Lunar)

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:28 2004

Mike Martinez inquired:

> Does anyone know the total known weight of Dhofar 026 and the
> classification? In meteorites from A to Z it's listed as 148 grams
> total known weight but, I think that's wrong. I have several samples
> for sale. If interested contact me off the list. Thanks for your help.

Hello Mike and List,

No, it isn't wrong. That's the correct weight as given in the
Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 84, 2000 August. It is classified
as a lunar anorthositic crystalline melt breccia. Here is part
of the information:

"A brownish gray stone weighing 148 gr was found in the Dhofar
region of Oman. Mineralogy and classification (M. Nazarov and
M. Ivanova, Vernad): fusion crust absent; meteorite is a clast-poor,
anorthositic, crystalline melt breccia containing rare mineral frag-
ments and clasts of feldspathic rocks embedded in a completely
devitrified fine-grained matrix; vesicles are abundant; sphere-shaped,
chondrule-like inclusions and rare impact melt veins are present."

In O.R. Norton's new book "Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites"
(CEM) you can also look up this information on page 179 where the
same TKW is given and Richard's entry adds the word "impact":
"anorthositic impact-melt breccia" because of those impact melt
veins mentioned in the Bulletin.

Best wishes,

Bernd