[meteorite-list] Mercurian Meteorites Low In Metal?

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:28 2004

April 21, 2002

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

A question has emerged concerning what a Mercurian
meteorite should look like and/or otherwise contain.

While reading the recent discussions, it was stated
that such space rocks would contain a low metal
content. However, it is currently accepted that
Mercury contains a rather large core of molten iron.
Being the second smallest planet in the solar system
and without a useful atmosphere, wouldn't such a
planet normally be less equilibrated than Venus or
Earth if it wasn't for its close proximity to the sun?
To clarify this, wouldn't one expect there to be more
free iron-nickel near or in the planet's mantle if it
wasn't for the sun? I am guessing that to be the
reason why such a prediction was made concerning
Mercurian meteorites: the sun's heat causing the
heavier elements to migrate to the core. Is this so?
(Venus, by the way, if I read correctly and which is
further away from the sun, is supposed to be hotter
due to its thick clouds.)

Before I go, I wish to thank Al for his input on my
last post about the European fireballs!

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA