[meteorite-list] Mr. Sterling K. Webb's Mercurian Masterpiece

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:29 2004

April 22, 2002

Greetings Mr. Sterling K. Webb and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

Thank you for that monumental response to my question
about Mercurian meteorites! I have printed out your
post for my growing meteorite library, a habit that is
highly recommended by numismatists as well. Imagine,
frozen water! Amazing!

But now, after reading your extensive e-mail, I have
another question. Why aren't we sending more probes
and the like to Mercury? It seems just as fascinating
and mysterious as Mars--- not to mention closer too,
during its greatest distance from Earth. My goodness,
I even read that when Mariner 10 was flown to study
the first two inner planets in the mid-1970's, it was
discovered that by flying near Venus, the spacecraft
was pulled on by that planet's gravity, thus giving it
a little "push" as so to speak, which saved on fuel
and time while it traveled to Mercury.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA