[meteorite-list] Free Meteorite Dice!

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:29 2004

All,

I'd like to share something odd that the list will surely find interesting.

Every year I attend the ORIGINS gaming convention here in Columbus, Ohio.
It's one of the largest gaming cons in the country. This year my
pre-registration book came and on page 28 it mentions that one of the show
sponsors, Crystal Caste, will be giving away a set of polyhedral dice
carved from a meteorite!

Here is the exact text:
---
Crystal Caste
Attend Origins for a chance to win the Coolest Dice on Earth.
"Origins Sponsor Crystal Caste will be raffling off a full set of
polyhedral dice carved from the Edmond meteor. [sic]  Every attendee at
Origins this year will be entered into a chance to win one of only two sets
of meteoric dice in existence.  All Origins attendees will automatically be
entered in the raffle.  Provided by Crystal Castle these dice are valued at
$1,000 retail, but will be sold at Origins by auction.  Check our web site,
www.originsgames.com, to see the dice and learn more about the meteorite
they were carved from.
Come view these Artifacts of Gaming at the Crystal Caste booth #500.  These
dice are in the same 12mm scale as the rest of the Dwarven Stones line,
wherein you can find many semiprecious and precious gemstones carved into
dice.  Gorgeous!"
--------
The link to the dice page (with photos) is:
http://www.originsgames.net/events/index.cfm?action=sub&contentID=385&nodeID=361
They claim these to be from the Edmond, Kansas find of 1983.
_Meteorites_from_A_to_Z_ lists this as an H6 with a TKW of only 4kg.  The
photo on the web site does not contradict this claim, as far as I can tell.
It seems odd to me -- very odd -- that a single named stone, with only 4 kg
TKW would be carved into not just one but _two_ sets of dice (7 dice in
each set).  The mass wasting must have been huge.  If they were carved from
NWA stones I could see it, but Edmond...?  To top it off, one of the sets
will be GIVEN AWAY FREE and the other sold at auction.  Whoever made these
dice isn't keeping a set for himself.
Discussion anyone?  Surely someone on this list knows something about how
these dice came to be made.
(BTW, if anyone here wants to attend ORIGINS this year for a shot at the
dice, I always play in the RoboRally Tournament.  Bob has close-buzzed hair
and a goatee.)
Bob Martino                        Can you really name a star?
                                   http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/
"I look up to the heavens
 but night has clouded over
 no spark of constellation