[meteorite-list] Re: Grondine, Native Americans and Campo de Cielo

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:30 2004

Well,

While it does not contain an apology, at least Marco's
message contains an aknowledgement that he does not
know much about this area, and a pledge that he won't
share his ignorance with any of us in the future.

Now if he had "just pointed out not to be
neglected incongruencies in chronology and geography
considering the topic which Ed raised" in the first
place, we could have avoided most of this.

As for Marco's grip on "science", if you go to
"any academic textbook" on meso-america you'll find
that the Maya and Zoque lived in their home areas by
2360 BCE, and they continued to do so until later
times. There is no abuse of chronology or terminology
on my part on this anywhere except in Marco's mind -
he has problems with culture and ethnicity, problems
which some day perhaps he'll be able to work out.

While Marco's acknowledges these peoples advanced
level of culture, he denies them long distance trading
networks. But this trade is well known; a good start
has been made on researching it and this work is
documented, and the information on it is easily found
in more specialized works. Again, there are no
unsubstantiated claims on my part on this, while it is
fairly clear that Marco has problems in his
understanding of the use of maritime resources by
ancient man.

As for "what goes" in professional archaeology, "what
goes" is solid work based on hard evidence, and not
wild guesses based on racial prejudices. When I
called Marco a racist I meant it.

I need to date both the Rio Cuarto impact and the
Campo de Cielo impact to the year if possible. The
Mayan hieroglyphic records contain what appear to be
firm dates for both, if the glyph scholars are reading
them correctly. My raising the topic here was a small
part of a search for hard physical evidence confirming
those readings of the hieroglyphic dates, and I will
continue to work on the problem.

ep

--- Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl>