[meteorite-list] Lost Creek meteorite

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:04:40 2004

Greetings,

> Does anyone have any information on the meteorite being
> advertised as Lost Creek on eBay? I can find no reference
> to it. I emailed the seller this morning but have not had
> an answer.

Lost Creek is an approved H3.8 from Kansas (see the pre-release
of Met. Bulletin #86). It was a single stone weighing a little
over 4 kilos. I believe I have the main mass of this stone,
though it is remotely possible that Brad Sampson still retains
a larger piece. If you'd like more information, I'd be happy
to provide it. I am willing to cut slices to order, but out
of respect for my prior buyers (and in the interest of helping
to stabilize the price) I'm not interested in matching some of
the low prices per gram I've seen on eBay for this unequilibrated
chondrite. This is a nice stone, with a low TKW, a properly
deposited type specimen, a complete classification by UCLA,
and an approved name. In my opinion it's worth more than the
$3/gram or less that I've sometimes seen it sold for.

Best wishes,
Rob