[meteorite-list] Sahara Sand and Michigan Dirt

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:05 2004

Aug. 1, 2002

Greetings Jeanne Devon and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

I believe I have a clue to what you are describing.
On our farm I have often seen thin layers of what
appear to be dark grey to black particles in wash
outs. They are very minute to be sure. However, a
magnet readily attracts them as if they were metal
filings. If they were magnetite, wouldn't one expect
them to rust and/or corrode? I find them to be very
strange and even more so under a microscope. Some, I
recall, reminded me of micro iron meteorites. I have
pondered there presence for a long time and have come
up with a few theories, one being that they are
connected in some way to an impact crater.

I hope to investigate this matter more thoroughly when
time permits and hopefully solve this possibly
meteoritic mystery and perhaps answer your question as
well.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

--- MuseumStore/NatureSource <musnat_at_alaska.net>