[meteorite-list] Re: (Update) Museum Online Collections

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:06 2004

Hi List,
Thanks to all who has responded. This is information overload of best kind!
Hopefully I will sort it all out and burn a CD with this information in the
upcoming weeks.

Tracy, I really liked your suggestion. It would be very interesting to see
where some of the main masses have ended up over the years what with all the
trades, buys, etc.
It would also be interesting to see how many of the well known US specimens
have been purchased by buyers in Europe and Asia. To track all that down
would be uh...daunting to say the least. ...And to track down the
NWA's....(?) That thought just makes my liver - quiver. ;-)

I am also interested in seeing how many private collections are also on the
internet.
Mike Farmer has one of the best (drool) collections amassed (in my
estimation), in a very short time. (since 1996) I have a list of Jim
Schwades' collection, but that was from a number of years ago. I'm sure that
has dramatically changed.

If anyone has their private collection on Word, PDF, etc., (a complete
database) and can send it to me off list, I certainly would consider adding
it to the CD. I will also understand if people decline. Afterall, a private
collection can be just that----private.

Best to all and thanks again!

Steven L. Sachs IMCA # 9210