[meteorite-list] PROVISIONAL meteorite names

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:07 2004

Terminology 101

It's simple. It's just words. But it's the concept
that's important. So that we are all on the same
page, let's go over these terms again:

NWA numbers aren't official until they are published
by the Nomenclature Committee in the Meteoritical
Bulletin
Until that occurs, NWA numbers (those that are
assigned by Jutta Zipfel of the Nomenclature
Committee) are deemed "Provisional".

All other "made-up" names and numbers are just that;
whether they are temporary, or not. You can call them
Cataloge Numbers, Collection Nos., Field ID #s,
Specimen Nos., etc., but the one word that would be
best avoided (because it is already being used) is the
word "provisional".

For more detailed information see Ron Hartman's
article in next months issue of Meteorite Times.
Until then, refer to this web page:
<http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/metsoc/metbull/prov-names.html>

Bob V.

--------------------------------------
[meteorite-list] NWA OFFICIAL NUMBERS

Matteo Chinellato mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all

I put the list of the official numbers of my NWA, for
who have buy a piece from me, in the left the
provisional #, in the right the official:

#58 NWA 1243
#59 NWA 1244
#60 NWA 1245
#61 NWA 1246