[meteorite-list] Ron's re-post

From: S.Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:09 2004

>Those "theories" must be consistant with your "wait for the Egyptian
>newspaper" idea, right?
>
>One astute list member said of the dog story, "Extraordinary claims require
>extraordinary proof."
>
>You have no scientific proof that a dog ever existed - extraordinary or even
>ordinary. You have a "personal belief".
>
>Maybe you should start a cult........
>
>Kevin Kichinka

Kevin, Ron, and the rest - Good day to you all!

In the past I've deleted all the posts about the "Dog" before even opening
them but I've been reading the past few days worth and just have one
question - So what?
If the meteorite did or did not kill the dog - why does it inflame people
so either way? At the end of the day we still have this wonderful martian
meteorite that has stimulated much discussion and experimentation leading
us to a better understanding of the red planet. I don't think that by
hitting the dog it would have altered its mineralogy or chemistry in anyway
so I don't really care if the poor dog died of a meteorite strike or
crocodile attack.

But, if I can hook a room full of students with a story about a dog
supposedly being killed by a meteorite fall, then I'll shamelessly use it.

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel - 617.253.6398
Fax - 617.253.7102