[meteorite-list] Re: ad Impact melt = real Gao??

From: Starbits_at_aol.com <Starbits_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:09 2004

<I possede a real shocked/melt Gao in my collection, but the lithology is very similar to Harrissonville meteorite. Are you sure of your meteorite source? Do you have analysis for the Gao-b?>

Hello Vincent JACQUES

   Yes I am sure of the source. It is an individual in Burkina Faso from whom I have bought Gao-guenie from many times.
   The analysis information I received from ASU said it is an H5 Fa 17.9. That is the same as Gao, but is also not an uncommon value for H chondrites. I am hoping the CRE dating will confirm the association with Gao or be different enough to be considered a different fall. Unfortunately it looks like the CRE analysis will not occur until late fall.

<Your Gao-b is very very similar to NWA722 (ElKachla) and Rammya meteorite: You can see photos of this meteorite at
  http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/Rammya.html , and you will can compare it.... >

I am unfamiliar with the harrisonville meteorite so I can't comment on it. On the comparison with the photos on the Rammya page I see differences from this meteorite. There appears to be more metal in the melt veins and also larger metal blebs 4-5mm across in this meteorite as well as some large vugs. Some of this may be in the photos, but although similar, the appearance is different.

   Dr. David Kring will be doing an analysis of this meteorite similar to the in depth study he did on Cat Mountain. That report is probably several years away though. Scientifically it is probably more interesting if this is part of the Gao fall. Either way it is a lovely meteorite.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com