[meteorite-list] New meteorite hunting method?

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:12 2004

--part1_a6.2a944923.2a8a463f_boundary

peregrineflier_at_hotmail.com writes:

> When the going gets tough I put my companies $2000 dollar locator back in
> the truck and get out my trusty copper rods and do it the old fashion way!
> Yes I am talken Witching or dousing! Has any one tried this time tested
> method of finding hard to find things?

Hi folks,
I've always been too sceptical to try dowsing personally, but a few years ago
my neighbour found the long-lost buried water pipe in our back garden within
about 3 minutes of searching for it with his diving rods. Before then, I'd
spent 2 weeks looking for it by digging numerous test holes without success.
Maybe he just remembered where the pipe was buried when our house was built,
but either way, 3 minutes to pin-point a 1" pipe in an acre of garden isn't
too shabby!

I was in London for 5 days last week.....I met up with Brighton's meteorite
man Dave Harris for a good natter on Wednesday evening, then spent most of
Friday at the Natural History Museum arranging some more meteorite exchanges.
Staying loosely on the "divining for meteorites" theme, I spent Thursday
afternoon visiting "spoon bender" Uri Geller at his mansion near
London.....we shot the breeze, bent a few pieces of cutlery and I gave him an
introduction to meteorites :-)
There's a few links to some pictures below, showing what happens to metal
objects when Uri Geller puts his mind to it.
The last 2 images show a thinly cut square rod of etched Gibeon meteorite in
a before-and-after sequence......I tested it and tried to bend it by force
(and also in the jam of a door!) before I took it to London, but I couldn't
get any leverage on such a small piece, and didn't manage to put even the
slightest bend in it.

Uri Geller with 4kg Gibeon individual
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller1.jpg

Bending a spoon - it curled up on the floor without being touched
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller2.jpg

My Mrs. with the spoons
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller3.jpg

Irene again
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller4.jpg

Etched Gibeon rod "before"
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller5.jpg

Etched Gibeon rod "after"
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller6.jpg

There's definitely something weird going on here!
Ha!....people will start claiming that rocks fall from the skies next ;-)

Cheers,
Rob Elliott.
www.meteorites.uk.com
Fernlea Meteorites,
The Wynd,
Off Dickson Lane,
Milton of Balgonie,
Fife. KY7 6PY
United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991
Mobile: 07909-773929
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com

--part1_a6.2a944923.2a8a463f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 13/08/02 02:04:55 GMT Daylight Time, peregrineflier_at_hotmail.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">When the going gets tough I put my companies $2000 dollar locator back in the truck and get out my trusty copper rods and do it the old fashion way! Yes I am talken Witching or dousing! Has any one tried this time tested method of finding hard to find things?</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hi folks,<BR>
I've always been too sceptical to try dowsing personally, but a few years ago my neighbour found the long-lost buried water pipe in our back garden within about 3 minutes of searching for it with his diving rods. Before then, I'd spent 2 weeks looking for it by digging numerous test holes without success.<BR>
Maybe he just remembered where the pipe was buried when our house was built, but either way, 3 minutes to pin-point a 1" pipe in an acre of garden isn't too shabby!<BR>
<BR>
I was in London for 5 days last week.....I met up with Brighton's meteorite man Dave Harris for a good natter on Wednesday evening, then spent most of Friday at the Natural History Museum arranging some more meteorite exchanges. Staying loosely on the "divining for meteorites" theme, I spent Thursday afternoon visiting "spoon bender" Uri Geller at his mansion near London.....we shot the breeze, bent a few pieces of cutlery and I gave him an introduction to meteorites :-)<BR>
There's a few links to some pictures below, showing what happens to metal objects when Uri Geller puts his mind to it.<BR>
The last 2 images show a thinly cut square rod of etched Gibeon meteorite in a before-and-after sequence......I tested it and tried to bend it by force (and also in the jam of a door!) before I took it to London, but I couldn't get any leverage on such a small piece, and didn't manage to put even the slightest bend in it. <BR>
<BR>
Uri Geller with 4kg Gibeon individual<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller1.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Bending a spoon - it curled up on the floor without being touched<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller2.jpg<BR>
<BR>
My Mrs. with the spoons<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller3.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Irene again<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller4.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Etched Gibeon rod "before"<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller5.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Etched Gibeon rod "after"<BR>
http://fernlea.tripod.com/geller6.jpg<BR>
<BR>
There's definitely something weird going on here!<BR>
Ha!....people will start claiming that rocks fall from the skies next ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rob Elliott.<BR>
www.meteorites.uk.com<BR>
Fernlea Meteorites,<BR>
The Wynd,<BR>
Off Dickson Lane,<BR>
Milton of Balgonie,<BR>
Fife. KY7 6PY<BR>
United Kingdom<BR>
Tel: +44-(0)1592-751563<BR>
Fax: +44-(0)1592-751991<BR>
Mobile: 07909-773929<BR>
Email: fernlea4_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_a6.2a944923.2a8a463f_boundary--