[meteorite-list] Binningup's entry angle

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

"Matson, Robert" wrote:

> I would be curious to know what the estimated angles were for
> Peekskill, Tagish Lake and the recent Bavarian fall. I suspect
> they are all 25 degrees or less.

Hello again,

Binningup, H5, slightly friable
Binningup beach, near Bunbury
Western Australia
Fell 1984, Sep 30, 10:10 hrs

Sky & Telescope, March 1985, p. 222:

No one in recorded history has been killed by a falling meteorite, but
the last few months have seen two near misses.
Last September 30th, many people near Perth, Australia, saw a brilliant
daylight fireball around 10 a.m. It was described as "bright as an arc
lamp," "luminescent blue," and "slightly smaller than the full Moon."
Loud sonic booms ensued. At Binningup Beach 80 miles farther south,
two sunbathers heard a whistling followed by a loud thud just 12 feet
from where they sat. They recovered a 1-pound chondrite from a pit a
foot across and 6 inches deep. The meteorite was "warm to the touch"
when they handled it several minutes after the fall. It was probably
one of many fragments; loud thuds were heard in a nearby pine
plantation at the same time, but subsequent searches yielded nothing.

A.W.R. BEVAN et al. (1988) The Binningup H5 Chondrite:
A New Fall from Western Australia (Meteoritics 23, 1988, 29-33):

The Binningup meteorite is the fourth observed fall from Western
Australia, and the thirteenth from Australia as a whole. Data
gleaned from reports of twenty-three witnesses of the luminous
phenomena associated with the fall indicate an approximate apparent
radiant for the fireball of A = 30°, h = 20°, and a luminous trajectory
of at least 150 km.

Best wishes,

Bernd