[meteorite-list] Tagish Lake direction of flight

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

Ron Baalke wrote:

> Obviously, there is a collecting bias in the Tagish Lake strewnfield data, not
> unlike Nakhla's strewnfield. Does anyone know the direction of flight for
> the Tagish Lake fireball?

The cover image of MAPS 37-5, 2002, May, does show
the trajectory projected onto a Landsat 7 image but no
details are given.

With regard to its entry angle, Brown et al. write on page 673:

"From our best estimate of the initial mass of the
Tagish Lake object of ca. 56 tonnes, its initial
velocity (15.8 km/s), its known angle of entry (17.8°) ..."

Reference:

BROWN P.G. et al. (2002) An entry model for the Tagish
Lake fireball using seismic, satellite and infrasound records
(MAPS 37-5, 2002 May, pp. 661-675).

Best regards,

Bernd