[meteorite-list] Perseids 2001

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

Hello List,

   I went out between 4:00-5:15 AM Monday the 12th
here in Little Rock, Arkansas to try to catch a
"pre-peak-peek" at the Perseids. The sky was mostly
clear then, and the forecast was calling for clouds
and rain moving in Monday night. It was a good thing I
did go then, because the weathermen got it right this
time. Monday night was completely clouded out.

   I didn't do an exact count for that hour and
fifteen minutes on the 12th, but I'm certain I saw at
least 50-60 meteors, if not more. Four of them were
really nice, with persistent trains of a few seconds.
And two others produced an almost "terminal burst
flare-up" at the end that lit up a small part part of
the sky like lightning. Judging from what some of the
other members have said about the shower not being
that good, it appears I got lucky. It got me really
looking forward to the Leonids later on!

   Good luck to all of us for clear skies then.

   Sincerely,

   Robert Woolard