[meteorite-list] Re: Old Woman meteorite, part III (or IV?)

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

--part1_14f.126b2917.2a8b6a99_boundary

> I've just driven through the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas (so as to havea good
> Perseid-viewing-headquarters ONLY, of course ;-) and will be stopping by
> the "Desert Discovery Center" in Barstow on my way back to LA Tuesday.
> We've briefly touched on the "Old Woman" meteorite a few times on the list,
> and the rumors about its possibly being moved or going into storage, and
> about the tenuousness of the "Desert Discovery Center" which has been the
> ol' girl's home for many years, up to this point anyway.

For anyone interested, the Desert Discovery Center (831 Barstow Rd,
760-252-6060) is still alive, and the ol' girl's still prominently displayed
therein. As a matter of fact, there are now signs out front advertising her!
 The same nice older lady is still there holding down the fort, and she says
that she and her son are making sure the place remains open out of the
goodness of their hearts, apparently there's very little $ and they are still
largely volunteering their services. But she speaks well of the BLM's
efforts and thinks the situation will only improve, so that's heartening.

http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/oldwoman.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/BarstowDDC.jpg

Gregory

--part1_14f.126b2917.2a8b6a99_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2> <BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I've just driven through the Mojave Desert to Las Vegas (so as to havea good Perseid-viewing-headquarters ONLY, of course ;-) and will be stopping by the "Desert Discovery Center" in Barstow on my way back to LA Tuesday.&nbsp;&nbsp; We've briefly touched on the "Old Woman" meteorite a few times on the list, and the rumors about its possibly being moved or going into storage, and about the tenuousness of the "Desert Discovery Center" which has been the ol' girl's home for many years, up to this point anyway.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
For anyone interested, the Desert Discovery Center (831 Barstow Rd, 760-252-6060) is still alive, and the ol' girl's still prominently displayed therein.&nbsp; As a matter of fact, there are now signs out front advertising her!&nbsp; The same nice older lady is still there holding down the fort, and she says that she and her son are making sure the place remains open out of the goodness of their hearts, apparently there's very little $ and they are still largely volunteering their services.&nbsp;&nbsp; But she speaks well of the BLM's efforts and thinks the situation will only improve, so that's heartening.<BR>
<BR>
http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/oldwoman.jpg<BR>
http://members.aol.com/sharkkb8/BarstowDDC.jpg<BR>
<BR>
Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_14f.126b2917.2a8b6a99_boundary--