[meteorite-list] Perseids

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:13 2004

Hi all,

No complaints regarding the Perseid rates here (only about the weather on
the maximum night...). We had a nice show from Holland (Europe). On the
night 12-13 I observed 147 Perseids (out of a total of 183 meteors) in 2.33
hours observing time (then we got clouded out) with the radiant still not
high in the sky. Last night 13-14 we observed again, one day after the
maximum, and noted plenty of meteors including many Perseids.
I have not checked the memorecorder tape for this night yet but I estimate I
have at least 250-300 meteors, most Perseids. So: they were there in Europe!
That Europe got slightly higher rates than the US is no surprise as the peak
of the shower happened over Europe this year. Yet, the several reports of
very low rates from the US surprise me. Because the show was still very
nice, as seen from here, a day after the maximum.

Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society
www.dmsweb.org

---
Marco Langbroek                    private: marco.langbroek_at_wanadoo.nl
Leiden University                     work: m.langbroek_at_arch.leidenuniv.nl
Faculty of Archaeology
P.O. Box 9515
http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/
NL-2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands
"What seest thou else
  In the dark backward and abysm of time?"
William Shakespeare: The Tempest act I scene 2
---