[meteorite-list] Question clarification - How to cut "thin sections"

From: S.Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:14 2004

If you are talking about thin sections that are commonly used to classify a
meteorite, those are 30 microns thick (as all thin sections should be if
you want to do petrography). They are extremely difficult to make and I
think producing a quality thin section borders on art. I've been doing it
for some time now for my own research, but the ones I make can't compare
with some made by professional thin section makers. The VERY best thin
sections I have ever seen are made by a 70+ Dutch gentleman who cuts thin
sections for the TCU geology dept. No need contacting him though because
he only does stuff for the dept. It'll take lots of practice and patience
to make a good one until you get the knack of it.

Good luck.

At 08:31 AM 8/15/2002 -0400, Morawski, Mark wrote:

>Thanks to the people who responded quickly. To clarigy my question, the
>thin sections I was referring to were the super thin ones that are
>"translucent" and typically mounted to glass.

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel - 617.253.6398
Fax - 617.253.7102