[meteorite-list] 2002NY40 Flyby

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:18 2004

My regrets also, Bernd! WE tried to take a look at 2002NY40 as well,
using our first-time-out-of-the-box telescope we bought last
winter. Alas, once we got it set up and attempted to focus, we found that
the focusing knob had become loose and we didn't have the tiny allen
wrench needed to retighten the knob. No focus, no asteroid. we then
tried to use our friend's telescope, got THAT set up o.k., but owing to
general unfamiliarity and miscalculation of position ("Okay, G.M.T. for
Hawaii is 12 hours behind. And WHERE'S the track for Hawaii... what do
you mean, we have to interpolate?!? Grrr...) the asteroid had slipped
behind the mountain already.

Rule number one: Make sure your equipment works.
Rule number two: Make sure your BRAIN works! :-P

Tracy Latimer