[meteorite-list] murderous meteorite, part 1

From: Dave <Dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:18 2004

Hi:

I've been wondering if I should post this for some time, and now that we
have had some posts about old meteorites, this seems to be the time. This
is from the Indianapolis Daily Sentinel, January 19, 1879. Lines in all
capital letters are headlines. This is kind of long, so I will send it in a
couple of separate posts.

Credit for locating this article goes to the late Dr. Paul Campbell, physics
professor and planetarium director at Western Kentucky University.

THE MURDEROUS METEOR

THE STORY OF THE DISCOVERY OF THE FOUNTAIN COUNTY AEROLITE.

MANY DISCOURAGEMENTS AT THE START - THE ACCOUNT GIVEN BY GROVER'S FAMILY - A
CHAPTER OF HORROR - A GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION.

    The Sentinel has received the subjoined account of the proceedings and
success of the expedition sent to secure the aerolite which fell near
Newtown, Fountain County, last Tuesday night, and while it does not vouch
for the genuineness of the record, sees no reason for discrediting it, as it
has come through a perfectly legitimate and trustworthy source. It will be
found a highly interesting description of one of the most remarkable events
of the period. The aerolite and the sketch (which I don't have -- DH) of
the house referred are now on exhibition in the show window of Perry's drug
store. The following is the account:

To the Editor of the Sentinel:

Sir - In compliance with your request, I took the 7 p.m. train on the I. B.
and W., and in the usual course of events arrived safely at about 10 p.m. at
Covington, Fountain County, en route to the scene of the terrible disaster,
by which a worthy citizen, living near Newtown, about 16 miles northeast of
Covington, was in a moment hurled into eternity by the falling of a
meteorite, passing successively through the roof, ceiling, body of the
victim, the bed on which he was lying, floor, and into the cellar, burying
itself in the earth some three or four feet, an account of which was
published in yesterday's Journal. Meeting a friend on the train going to
Covington, and somewhat acquainted with, and being anxious to obtain all the
information possible, I confided to him in strict confidence the object of
my mission, requesting that no more be said about it than would be necessary
in the furtherance of its accomplishment, fearing that some sordid vandal
might try and obtain possession of the much coveted missile for the purposes
of gain before I could get to the place. He entered heartily into the
scheme and we proceeded together to "Brown's Tavern," where the usual number
of loungers and traveling men were gathered around the bar-room stove. We
had scarcely been in the room ten minutes before the whole thing was out.
My friend being unable to restrain his zeal began at once asking questions
which led to the exposure. Old Brown said he believed it was a hoax, as he
didn't know anybody living up in that neighborhood by that name. Some one
shut him up by saying he never believed anything, not even when told his old
hotel was on fire, until the fire and smoke drove him out.

    One or two others joined him in his opinion, but the majority expressed
themselves as believing the whole strictly true.

ON THE ROAD

    At any rate a sleigh and a pair of horses were placed at my disposal,
the owner volunteering to drive, two ladies to accompany us. Another sleigh
load was at once made up, and it was decided to get an early breakfast and
start with as little delay possible next morning. After an almost sleepless
night, daylight saw the party, consisting of Judge R., Mr. M. M. N., Mr. F.
of the I. B. and W., and Mr. S., two ladies Misses K. and L. and myself, out
on the road, going at a sparkling rate, as enthusiastic a band of amateur
scientists as ever started in pursuit of an idea. An exhilarating drive of
a little more than two hours brought us to Newtown, where great excitement
still existed, the occurrence not being known there until after the account
had been sent to the Journal, the party being Mr. J. K. Jones of Porter
County, on his way to Covington, and getting there just in time to send it
by a gentleman on the night train, who left it at the Journal office, and it
was printed as a special dispatch. However, we arrived at the objective
point of our journey, almost a mile and a half from Newtown, about 9:30
a.m., and at once commenced our investigation. The house is a one story log
house, about 20 X 30 feet, divided into three rooms and with a shed kitchen
on the rear, as per the accompanying sketch, "taken on the spot." Q is the
living room, B is the room occupied by the victim, Mr. Leonidas Grover; C
the room occupied by Frowd, and his wife, who are son-in-law and daughter of
Mr. Grover, and D the kitchen. It seems the family had only just moved into
the neighborhood within the past two weeks, having come from North Carolina,
which accounts for the names not being found on the tax duplicate or
election returns, and also of not being known to parties in Covington who
were well acquainted with the neighborhood, and which gave rise to the
impression that no such persons lived in that vicinity, and consequent doubt
as to the truth of the report. The family were of a rather better class
than North Carolina emigrants usually are, as they could read and write. An
inspection of the premises showed with what sure and deadly aim the
wandering messenger did its work. The victim had been buried the night
before, but in other respects, the house and room remained as it was when
the catastrophe occurred. The roof, ceiling and floor presented much the
same appearance as in any of the houses in Vicksburg did after the siege
that had been struck by round shot and shell fired from our mortars and
guns, and that had gone through the roofs, floors, and into the cellars, and
burying themselves into the earth. The clapboards of the roof were
shattered, and the ceiling and the floor at the point where the missile
passed through, presented a ragged and splintered appearance as if hit by a
blunt object. In the cellar the ground had been dug up in search of the
fearful messenger of death, which was found at the depth of about three feet
and a half instead of five, as stated in the Journal, the blood from the
unfortunate man following the course of the missile and partially filling
the hole, some stain of which is still visible on the stone.

(part 2 to follow)

Dave Hostetter