[meteorite-list] Dean's new dark NWA BL's

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:19 2004

Hi Bernd, Dean and list,

Bernd asked:

"I have never had a meteorite classified and so I don't know how much
such a classification would cost. But there are about 40 BL-owners.
Now what if one piece of these unique stones was sent to an institution
for classification. Each owner of one of these BL's might then pay 1/40
of the sum such a classification costs. It would be put on everybody's
shoulders, not just on one person's and all of us could profit from the
outcome. Just an idea."

It's a sensible idea, assuming you can find a lab willing to
do the work. The required type specimen for Meteoritical Society
purposes is 20 grams, though I expect any institution that agrees
to do the classification will want more than 20g for a hot desert,
ordinary chondrite -- even a brecciated one. (It's not the sort
of stone anyone is going to be spending time writing papers about.)
You'll probably need to sweeten the deal to 50 grams, and it
would help your case even more to provide a thin section for
probing.

Best,
Rob