[meteorite-list] Come ON, NASA!!!

From: Jensan Scientifics/ Sci-Mall <jensan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:22 2004

Hi all,

We find it hard to believe that after the loss a couple of years ago of
the whole Mars Polar Lander mission (that is; the main lander AND its
independent surface probes) without a trace during a planned
communication blackout, JUST like that of the Contour spacecraft...that
NASA would plan any more missions, EVER, where critical mission
maneuvers are carried out without telemetry coverage. It still might
fail, BUT at least we'd save the cost of an investigation and have a
little more to go on for the re-design effort.

Yes, we know that some maneuvers must be carried out "behind" the
planet...this has been true of orbit insertion and de-orbit engine burns
as far back as the Surveyor and Apollo missions.
It's always been a mission risk without telemetry.

But just think about it for a second... the Contour spacecraft was only
140 miles or so away from Earth when some catastrophic failure
apparently occurred, and it was "out of radio contact with controllers".

Come on NASA, do a "lessons learned" analysis, HUH???

Best,
Dave and Sarah