[meteorite-list] Nwa 869

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

>Here is what I have Jim, not sure if the TKW is correct...
>>L4 chondrite
>Found 2000-2001, Sahara Desert, North Africa.
>Recovered Weight ~ 1200kg.
>Over 1000 stones were recovered.
>W1? S?

It is going to show up in the Met bulletin as an unbrecciated L5. However,
it has been classified several times (Usually under different NWA names by
dealers who know that there are lots of nice and unusual things in this
meteorite and who dont want to sell it as just an L5). Lots of stones are
brecciated and there appear to be at least 3 different major types of
inclusions. The material is very varied (Even with the same stone) so
whatever classification a researcher gets depends on the sample that is sent
to him. Most dealers only send 20 or 50 grams of something to a researcher
to classify and somebody can only classifify what he has.
As far as TKW, it is high. I got another 150 kilos last week which brings
the amount that I have or have gone through up to around 750 kilos. I know
that there is more. 1200 kilos sounds like the best guess that I can think
of to.
And I should add one more very important thing: I have about 200 kilos here
right now in my apartment so for $200 (Preferable via paypal) I will send
you a kilo (Or $1750 for 10 kilos). I will cover shipping to canada or the
US but $12 to other countries (Which is less than half the shipping cost but
I will pick up the rest).
Cheers
DEAN