[meteorite-list] Of interest-Dr Peiser

From: EL Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:23 2004

I know Dr Peiser's stance on irresponsible press and press distortions
about asteroid impact dangers and their Chicken Little mentality. He
scathes them on a reoccurring basis for tabloid style headlines which
Which read "Asteroid Impact Imminent". When there is a 1 in 5 million
chance the asteroid might hit earth in 2034.

  So I'd be more inclined to believe that as he gave an info background
presentation to a reporter on the phone, who had the usually litany of
misconceptions about "hot bubbly burny thingies". Mars was mentioned
in the current events category. The reporter had enough from there to
take his comment out of context and the result is on the front page.
 The whole article is written tabloid style with "coulds" and "mights"
and no objective review--until it came to us that is. The presumption
is "I did not see who threw it, I found it" therefore "it must be a
meteorite".

 Funny to me that she saw it falling from rooftop level and it still hit
her....DUH... I am inclined to go with Ken about the boy on the other
side of the house! It is as valid as that reporters assessment!

The press aside we are partly the blame for the hype in that we aren't
there to assist in events like these. Nor to take the opportunity to
spread the truth aobut meteorites. In the fathers favor he is taking it
to be analized. Kudo's to him!

Soapbox:
When you see articles like this--and I've seen many worse-- one wonders
how accurate the press can really be when they try to "Monday-Morning
Quarterback.". Thinking of the professional military soldier who is on
the ground, heat and fog of battle, with the best picture of the
situation makes a decision on the information at hand--but is
after-the-fact lambasted by those reporters whose military experience is
limited to a anti-war march in college. Journalistic competancy in the
press corps is not longer a requirement to file a report. But the Press
and meteorites are another thread.

Good Day
Elton

> >The stone could have come from Mars, according to expert on Earth
> >impacts Dr Benny Peiser, of Liverpool John Moores University.

Ken Asked: