[meteorite-list] More on ""Teenager 'struck by meteorite'"

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:24 2004

Dear Kent, List;
Try this one...take off your shoe and sock, and drop a charcoal
briquette from the height of an average dinner table....on to the top of
your foot. It will not injure you but it will leave a red mark and
cause you to utter #*!!%% at me for being so stupid! Now think what it
would do if dropped from the height of a roof. We have simulated a
charcoal briquette dropping from a roof and we think it smarts like you
know what when it hit the simulated foot (in this case a loaf of bread).
 I am not about to give my body part to scientific experimentation.
I see no validity of a rock falling from about any height and not
causing great personal damage to any part of a person's body.
The Sylacauga, Alabama lady (1954) got a big purple spot from her
experience and that was after the real meteorite came through the roof
and ceiling, and bounced off the radio before it hit her...and she
was protected by two thick quilts!

For those interested, turn to page 85 in second edition of your copy
of Rocks From Space.
...ouch, OUCH!
Dave F.