[meteorite-list] Rusting Nantans

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:24 2004

--------------7085833674E99147289A026C

Dear List:
    Has anyone tried heat treating the Nantan by placing it in an oven
at 300 degrees for several hours or lower temperature for a longer time
period (24 hours or longer)? This would of course depend upon its size.
Then after heating placing in a airtight container. It may be important
to let it cool down in the oven not outside where it can again regain
water. Try it on an unrusted one or rusted one. Once it is cool; you
might also try immersing it in light machine oil. These are some
possibilities that have work for me on other meteorites including
pallisites. Caution!!!! The gas from the sulphur compounds are toxic
and you will want to ventilate the room were your oven is and DO NOT
OPEN THE OVEN WHILE IT IS "BAKING" THE GAS IS TOXIC! Dirk Ross...Tokyo

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK...I WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE RESULTS!

If you need more information please ask. This is not something you will
want to do if you are unskilled! Keep children, pets and yourself away
from the oven and ventilate your room!!!

James_TOM Knudson wrote:

> I have a Nantan. I wish I did not! It is 150 or so grams and is rust
> thru & thru..... Are they all like this? I bought it to try my hand at
> etching. Ya right!
> Thanks, TomFrom: "Waldron Cluett"
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Rusting Nantans
> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:30:35 -0500
> I read Anne Blacks dilema with her Nantan and had a similar experience
> with a 2 pounder...crumbling and oozing and rusting.
> I soaked the fragments in naval jelly ...available at the local
> hardware store... for about an hour, rinsed them off with alcohol and
> a tooth brush...let them dry overnight ... then lightly waxed them an
> polished with paper towel.
> They have held up well, and the kids who visit our shop are thrilled
> to get a fragment for $2-4 dollars _at_ .50 cents a gram in a round
> plastic container with a card...If they still are leaking, I take the
> advise of another list member and soak the specimen in denatured
> alcohol for a week to eliminate the chemical action and then lightly
> wax, and polish...
> The smaller fragments are also saved and put in little tubes and sold
> for $2.00 as "Stardust"...the only problem is we have too much Nantan
> stardust...
> Our motto..."No Nantan will go unsold"
> 'Hope this will encourage some to experiment with their irons...
> Wally Cluett IMCA 9746
> Toad Hollow Gallery & Handcrafted Jewelry
> 2517 Wakefield Road (Rte. 153)
> Wakefield, NH 03872 (603)522-6529
> visit us on line at: http://groups.msn.com/ToadHollowHappenings Get
> more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
> http://explorer.msn.com

--------------7085833674E99147289A026C

<HTML>
Dear List:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Has anyone tried heat treating the Nantan by placing
it in an oven at 300 degrees for several hours or lower temperature for
a longer time period (24 hours or longer)? This would of course depend
upon its size. Then after heating placing in a airtight container.&nbsp;
It may be important to let it cool down in the oven not outside where it
can again regain water.&nbsp; Try it on an unrusted one or rusted one.&nbsp;
Once it is cool; you might also try immersing it in light machine oil.&nbsp;
These are some possibilities that have work for me on other meteorites
including pallisites.&nbsp; Caution!!!!&nbsp; The gas from the sulphur
compounds are toxic and you will want to ventilate the room were your oven
is and DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN WHILE IT IS "BAKING"&nbsp; THE GAS IS TOXIC!&nbsp;
Dirk Ross...Tokyo

<P>DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK...I WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE RESULTS!

<P>If you need more information please ask.&nbsp; This is not something
you will want to do if you are unskilled!&nbsp; Keep children, pets and
yourself away from the oven and ventilate your room!!!

<P>James_TOM Knudson wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<DIV style='background-color:'>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;I have a Nantan. I wish I did not! It is 150 or so grams and
is rust thru &amp; thru..... Are they all like this? I bought it to try
my hand at etching. Ya right!
<BR>Thanks, TomFrom: "Waldron Cluett"&nbsp;<WALDRONCLUETT_at_MSN.COM>
<BR>To:&nbsp;<METEORITE-LIST_at_METEORITECENTRAL.COM>
<BR>Subject: [meteorite-list] Rusting Nantans
<BR>Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:30:35 -0500
<BR>I read Anne Blacks dilema with her Nantan and had a similar experience
with a 2 pounder...crumbling and oozing and rusting.
<BR>I soaked the fragments in naval jelly ...available at the local hardware
store... for about an hour, rinsed them off with alcohol and a tooth brush...let
them dry overnight ... then lightly waxed them an polished with paper towel.
<BR>They have held up well, and the kids who visit our shop are thrilled
to get a fragment for $2-4 dollars _at_ .50 cents a gram in a round plastic
container with a card...If they still are leaking, I take the advise of
another list member and soak the specimen in denatured alcohol for a week
to eliminate the chemical action and then lightly wax, and polish...
<BR>The smaller fragments are also saved and put in little tubes and sold
for $2.00 as "Stardust"...the only problem is we have too much Nantan stardust...
<BR>Our motto..."No Nantan will go unsold"
<BR>'Hope this will encourage some to experiment with their irons...
<BR>Wally Cluett IMCA 9746
<BR>Toad Hollow Gallery &amp; Handcrafted Jewelry
<BR>2517 Wakefield Road (Rte. 153)
<BR>Wakefield, NH 03872 (603)522-6529
<BR>visit us on line at: <A HREF="http://groups.msn.com/ToadHollowHappenings">http://groups.msn.com/ToadHollowHappenings</A>
Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : <A HREF="http://explorer.msn.com">http://explorer.msn.com</A></DIV>