[meteorite-list] U.S. Postal Office

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:25 2004

Bernd wrote:

> Matt Morgan wrote:
>
>> Agreed. There is something very odd happening at the US
>> post office. Can anyone shed some light on this? I ordered
>> a couple of things a month ago that have yet to arrive!
>
> Saddam, ... September 11, ...
>
> No kidding but absolutely serious!

Hi all

I sent a meteorite book to Switzerland a while ago. Several weeks later, it
arrived back on my doorstep covered with warning stickers. Apparently it was
over the one pound threshold, but did not have a certain stamp. Therefore it
was not to be allowed on any airplane. A large sticker indicated such in
bright letters and even a drawing of an airplane with a slash through it.

So, even though it was an airmail package, it went surface to where ever the
customs office was located, then rejected, then sent back to me, again by
slow surface.

To make a long story short, I took the package back to the post office and
asked for the proper stamp. They just stamped it and sent it off again. It
then arrived safely in Switzerland a week later.

Boy, do I feel safe now!

Cheers,

Martin