[meteorite-list] quarz and fossils

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:32 2004

Hi Yousef and list

Sure its possible to have quartz crystals that have grown in the same rock
as a fossil is found. Popular theory holds that quartz xtals grow from
saturated fluids, so if the rock and fossil were subjected to water
infiltration at some point, and the water contained silica in solution, if
there was a "budding" nucleus (any crystaline form regardless of size), then
a crystal would begin to form on that nucleus. Now, it is also possible that
small individual crystals were present on the surface where the fossil
finally rested and became part of the matrix along with the fossil. As long
as metamorphism hasn't occured, which would alter the fossil, these are you
most likely choices. Under metamorphism, you'd see any number of crystals of
many rock species develope.
Mark