[meteorite-list] Colorado Man Guides Scientists In Antarctica

From: Impactika_at_aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:32 2004

--part1_149.3e6610d.2b1d7c15_boundary

In a message dated 12/2/2002 9:51:48 AM Mountain Standard Time,
baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

> Because of the hazards on the continent containing the South Pole, explorers
> are led by two mountaineers, including a Colorado guide who outsmarted
> armed
> bandits in Africa, led expeditions to peaks such as Mount Kilimanjaro and,
> without blinking, made life-or-death survival decisions for clients.
>
> Colorado Springs-based guide Jamie Pierce sees job No. 1 as ensuring the
> safety of researchers scouring the deep-frozen continent for shards of
> solar
> system debris. "It's still the same place that killed Robert Scott and his
> men," Pierce, 33, said in a telephone interview from McMurdo Station.

Jamie Pierce is not the only Colorado person in Antarctica. There is a second
one, a teacher from Castle Rock (about 30 miles south of Denver). His name is
Andrew Caldwell and he is in charge of writing the daily journal of the
expedition. You can meet him at this URL:

             http://tea.rice.edu/tea_caldwellfrontpage.html

I wrote to him and invited him to join the COMETS.
He wrote back and said he would! :-)

Anne Black
IMCA #2356
www.IMPACTIKA.com
e-mail: IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com

--part1_149.3e6610d.2b1d7c15_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">In a message dated 12/2/2002 9:51:48 AM Mountain Standard Time, baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Because of the hazards on the continent containing the South Pole, explorers<BR>
are led by two mountaineers, including a Colorado guide who outsmarted armed<BR>
bandits in Africa, led expeditions to peaks such as Mount Kilimanjaro and,<BR>
without blinking, made life-or-death survival decisions for clients.<BR>
<BR>
Colorado Springs-based guide Jamie Pierce sees job No. 1 as ensuring the<BR>
safety of researchers scouring the deep-frozen continent for shards of solar<BR>
system debris. "It's still the same place that killed Robert Scott and his<BR>
men," Pierce, 33, said in a telephone interview from McMurdo Station.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Jamie Pierce is not the only Colorado person in Antarctica. There is a second one, a teacher from Castle Rock (about 30 miles south of Denver). His name is Andrew Caldwell and he is in charge of writing the daily journal of the expedition. You can meet him at this URL:<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; http://tea.rice.edu/tea_caldwellfrontpage.html<BR>
<BR>
I wrote to him and invited him to join the COMETS.&nbsp; <BR>
He wrote back and said he would!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; :-)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
 <BR>
Anne Black<BR>
IMCA #2356<BR>
www.IMPACTIKA.com<BR>
e-mail: IMPACTIKA_at_aol.com</FONT></HTML>

--part1_149.3e6610d.2b1d7c15_boundary--