[meteorite-list] Re: mail at stand-still

From: SSachs9056_at_aol.com <SSachs9056_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

Hi List,
I too have had interesting results with the mail. Last week I sent a letter
to Atlanta Georgia from 25 miles north of Chicago. It took 6 days to get
there. Just this week I sent a letter to Las Vegas, from the post office in
Waukegan Illinois. I ask how much for Priority, $3.50. I asked the clerk how
long it would take to arrive. 2-3 days. I then asked how much longer it would
take for using an ordinary 37cent stamp. He smiled and replied, "one day
longer". Seems that after so many miles, it's going by plane anyway. My
guess? Priority and first class go in the same plane and priority mail
possibly just gets routed at a different mail distribution center. (or they
have faster trucks ;-) Anyhoo. The letter with the 37cent postage arrived in
Las Vegas in three days. Seems that the bottom line....save yourself a heap
of money and just go with First Class postage. So much for Priority Mail.

Anyone on list who works for the Post Office that can give us all the skinny
on Priority mail and 1st Class----and the difference?

Best to All,

Steven Sachs / IMCA #9210