[meteorite-list] Hiroshima Artifact at Ebay ... was Poor

From: E.L. Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

Actually, this is an interesting, if not high priced, artifact with
very prominent fusion features--probably authentic ... I have some
samples from both Hiroshima and Nagasaki which aren't as good.
Interesting thing with these ceramics, is the heat reached sufficient
high temps long enough for creamic/clay(refractory) roof tiles to form
a glass fusion coating. Some roof tiles became so plastic they flowed
together into blobs! I consider this a very remarkable feat given the
melting temperatures of clay. Even river pebbles ( in the pyroxene
class) formed glass blobs on their exposed surface. Some blebs of glass
very similar to Trinitie can be found in soil and sand. I assume this
fusion coating is what brought this to the Meteorite category in the
sense that it is a natural glass(sic).

 A question is was the glass formed from micro mineral particles or, did
biological coatings contribure to a natural "glaze"? For the artsie
types out there you know how hot you have to fire ceramics in the Kiln.
 To me it looks like both may have happened but the bulk was from the
tile itself

As to radiation and radioactivity and half lives, etc.-- the radiation
at all 3 of the 1945 blast sites are back to a level which is described
as slightly above background. The half lives of most the contaminants
have dropped radiation to well below safe levels. The remaining ionizing
radiation today is mostly alpha and rarely do they find any plutonium
particles at Trinity, based on my recall of studies over the years at
these sites. So while I don't have the specifics of what daughter
products were produced, I remember the findings and those are that
radiation levels are largely normal and passed being harmful decades
ago. Key concept is most of them had half lives of hours and days vs
 years.

 I don't know who posted the comments about radioactivity below but it
is not totally factual-- no offense intended who ever it was. There
have been nearly 6 decades not 2. "Dangerous" radiation components
dropped off within days/weeks-Remember both cities remained
habitable--but no US military personel were reported to have developed
radiation sickness when arriving within two weeks of the explosions.
 One the other hand people living to the north of one of the cities-- I
don't recall which--endured the "black rain" rather than the rays of the
fireball. The black rain was precipitation laden with fallout. These
people were the ones who suffered the most radiation effects after the
direct fireball damage: direct deaths, birth defects , cancers etc.
 The stones, tiles and other structure materials as a rule didn't become
radioactive..that was situated in soils and soot and dust etc. Finally
 "radioactive" is a relative term depending on how and where used.

Regards to all from the Frozen Northeast US, Where I am sitting on my
collection of radioactive samples to keep warm....NOT
Elton