[meteorite-list] African Moldavite

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:33 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00F4_01C29FB1.9650CA20

Hi Norm and List
I went on a hunt after I posted my question which was, to say the least, =
my thinking out and not adding up the evidence.
I also found many sources for this "African Moldavite" with prices that =
rival real moldavites. What this does come under is the gemstone and =
jewelry laws. African Moldavite is not a trade name, but a conjured =
name. It can only be a trade name if it is created to mimic something =
else like cz is (diamondell and other such trade names). This material, =
without closer examination appears to be a glass from the chemical =
description one site refers to. As to the volcanic in origin, maybe, it =
reminds me of olivine in the one pick of a "rough" piece. As for water =
worn, well, if its from a rough piece that the "locals carefully trim to =
expose the prize material", then its sold as water worn, I have to =
wonder where the tumbler got into the picture to smooth it over and why =
isn't it mentioned?.=20
I realize this is off subject, but it also points out the extent that =
some will go to in order to scam the unwitting public (especially those =
involved in reiki, metaphysics and so on), on something they apparently =
don't know the laws governing, in order to make such a small amount of =
money compared to the fines/prison time and lawsuits they can face.=20
Its hard enough in this day and age to remove material with the =
permission of the local gov (especially meteorites), much less doing so =
and doing it with the intent to deceive.
I apologize to the list for causing such a uproar, but thanks for =
helping me get my thinking correct on things.
Mark

----- Original Message -----=20