[meteorite-list] Metal detectors vs. eyes

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

Hi Al, Tom and List,

> AL Mitterling wrote (in part):

> I have been to metal detector clubs, talking about meteorites and what
> Ron has said rings true when we have experimented with various detectors
> on various stony meteorites. It seems that you can peak them for certain
> stones but then others won't register.

> Nininger once said, any considerable search over a considerable area
> WILL yield a meteorite. The more eyes, hands and feet you can get out
> there hunting the better your chances of finding material.

Quite so. Outside of a working a known strewnfield (and perhaps even
there!), metal detectors are a very inefficient means of covering area.
You are far better off searching with your eyes. Once you've made a
find -- *then* use the metal detector to search the immediate area
for other fragments.

--Rob