[meteorite-list] The Meteor-doubtful I Fell For

From: Rob Wesel <Nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:35 2004

Hello all-
Speaking of greenhorns, here is one I bought when I was new to the
obsession. Still in my collection and NOT FOR SALE!:

Slag

Found Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Here's a little lesson from the School of Hard Knocks. A while back I came
across an internet auction that stated the following:

Here is a an item I purchased from an Estate Sale auction which was wrapped
in plastic with the note in the picture...

It is a Meteorite that fell through the Steel Roof of the Carey McFall's
Christmas Tree Factory in Williamsport PA.

The paper tells the story..."

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/27e2423e/bc/My+Photos/Untitled-1+copy.jpg?bcj
ZXA.APScdDOAE

I am not sure what the year was, but I don't believe the Factory is around
any longer....

A little investigation could narrow down the year....

A magnetic stone, an eyewitness testimony, an incredible chance to lock on
to a potentially important meteorite. So I took a chance and won the auction
for $106, much more than I would usually pay for an unknown. A few days
later it arrived. The first thing I did was a quick magnet test,
unbelievably magnetic. The exterior was reminiscent of Gold Basin which
seemed odd for a proposed fresh fall so I knew I had to cut it. The new
diamond blade on my saw cut through this with ease, sparks flying the whole
time. Then I got a look inside. There was some fresh metal to be seen but
the matrix was way too spongy. At this point I'm hoping for a miracle so I
post my images on the web and ask the meteorite e-group to give any
feedback. The consensus was that it was furnace slag but the testimony of
the security guard was enough to cast a tiny shadow of a doubt and I was
encouraged to send it off to UCLA for a final word from Al Rubin, the Yoda
of meteorites. I did so and the analysis confirmed it was slag. So what
about the security guard's testimony? I have a theory. He was playing around
on duty, you know, twirling his gun like Clint when he accidentally fired it
into the air putting a hole in the roof. Fearing his job, he crossed the
street to the steel foundry (we are in Pennsylvania after all) and came up
with this cosmic lie. He died with this on his conscience and I now know his
dirty little secret.and so do you

A photo of the piece:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/27e2423e/bc/My+Photos/McFalls+copy.jpg?bcjZXA
.AmE7Vf7US