[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 06-2001 Omen Mars Meteorite Found

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:53:38 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2B0A9.AAFC0580

Paper: Scottsbluff Star Herald
City: Scottsbluff, NE
Date: Sunday June 17, 2001
Page: 3B
(First row, top of page)

Newly discovered Mars meteorite could be window into Red Planet
GENEVA (AP) - A fist-sized meteorite, one of only 18 rocks on Earth known=
 to have come from Mars, has been found by Swiss scientists in the Oman d=
esert - a prize discovery that could help determine if the planet ever su=
stained life.
Scientists at the University of Bern annouced the find Friday and said th=
ey are just beginning to examine the meteorite. Most of the other 17 Mart=
ian rocks have been snapped up by collectors, they said, so few are fully=
 available for study. =20
"I suspected from the beginning that it was from Mars," said Marc Hauser,=
 a geologist who found the gray, ridged specimen during a collection excu=
rsion in January. "The color was different and, above all, it wasn't magn=
etic."
Initial conclusions could take several months.
Unusually large pockets inside the half-pound rock could provide evidence=
 about life that is far more conclusion than American suggestions about p=
ossible fossils on an earlier meteorite found in Antarctica, Hauser told =
the Associated Press.
The new meteorite was named Sayh al Uhaymir 094 after the region of deser=
t where the team found it and more than 180 other meteorites. The team, i=
n a statement, said they were certain it, would contribute to rapidly gro=
wing knowledge of the planet.
Interest increased in 1996 after a Martian meteorite found near the South=
 Pole, known as Allan Hills 84001, showed possible remnants of life. But =
such arguments "are hardly taken as solid evidence today." the research t=
eam said.
Most earlier meteorites from Mars were found in the Antarctic before scie=
ntists turned the attention to deserts in recent years.
Hauser said X-rays of the new rock has shown a surprising number of hollo=
w pockets inside that might contain gases or atmosphere. That could offer=
 clues about both the meteorite's history and Mars itself.
The pockets have "a much greater potential" than the rest of the rock for=
 containing evidence of life on Mars, Hauser said.
Most of the 180 meteorites found by the team were magnetic and looked dis=
tintive, but the Martian rock looked more like rocks from Earth and was d=
ifficult for the team to recognize as a meteorite. The other meteorites a=
lso contained no minerals.
Hauser said the team believes the Martian meteorite is part of another on=
e found earlier in the same area.
That first rock is in unknown private hands, as are most Martian meteorit=
e because collectors are willing to pay $1,000 a gram for such treasures,=
 But the team was able to obtain a small fragment of it for testing, Haus=
er said, and its makeup is practically identical.
(Article also has a photo showing two men holding the meteorite with the =
following caption: Swiss geologists Marc Hauser, left, and Lorenz Moser p=
resent Mars meteorite Sayh al Uhaymir 094. Friday June 15, 2001 in Bern, =
Switzerland.)
(Article also has a map of the Omen with parts of the surrounding countri=
es a the following caption: Swiss scientists recently discovered a fist-s=
ized meteorite from mars in the Oman desert.)

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2B0A9.AAFC0580

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Paper: Scottsbluff Star Herald</P> <P>City: Scottsbluff, NE</P> <P>D=
ate: Sunday June 17, 2001</P> <P>Page: 3B</P> <P>(First row, top of page)=
</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>Newly discovered Mars meteorite could be window int=
o Red Planet</P> <P>GENEVA (AP) - A fist-sized meteorite, one of only 18 =
rocks on Earth known to have come from Mars, has been found by Swiss scie=
ntists in the Oman desert - a prize discovery that could help determine i=
f the planet ever sustained life.</P> <P>Scientists at the University of =
Bern annouced the find Friday and said they are just beginning to examine=
 the meteorite. Most of the other 17 Martian rocks have been snapped up b=
y collectors, they said, so few are fully available for study. </P> <P>"I=
 suspected from the beginning that it was from Mars," said Marc Hauser, a=
 geologist who found the gray, ridged specimen during a collection excurs=
ion in January. "The color was different and, above all, it wasn't magnet=
ic."</P> <P>Initial conclusions could take several months.</P> <P>Unusual=
ly large pockets inside the half-pound rock could provide evidence about =
life that is far more conclusion than American suggestions about possible=
 fossils on an earlier meteorite found in Antarctica, Hauser told the Ass=
ociated Press.</P> <P>The new meteorite was named Sayh al Uhaymir 094 aft=
er the region of desert where the team found it and more than 180 other m=
eteorites. The team, in a statement, said they were certain it, would con=
tribute to rapidly growing knowledge of the planet.</P> <P>Interest incre=
ased in 1996 after a Martian meteorite found near the South Pole, known a=
s Allan Hills 84001, showed possible remnants of life. But such arguments=
 "are hardly taken as solid evidence today." the research team said.</P> =
<P>Most earlier meteorites from Mars were found in the Antarctic before s=
cientists turned the attention to deserts in recent years.</P> <P>Hauser =
said X-rays of the new rock has shown a surprising number of hollow pocke=
ts inside that might contain gases or atmosphere. That could offer clues =
about both the meteorite's history and Mars itself.</P> <P>The pockets ha=
ve "a much greater potential" than the rest of the rock for containing ev=
idence of life on Mars, Hauser said.</P> <P>Most of the 180 meteorites fo=
und by the team were magnetic and looked distintive, but the Martian rock=
 looked more like rocks from Earth and was difficult for the team to reco=
gnize as a meteorite. The other meteorites also contained no minerals.</P=
> <P>Hauser said the team believes the Martian meteorite is part of anoth=
er one found earlier in the same area.</P> <P>That first rock is in unkno=
wn private hands, as are most Martian meteorite because collectors are wi=
lling to pay $1,000 a gram for such treasures, But the team was able to o=
btain a small fragment of it for testing, Hauser said, and its makeup is =
practically identical.</P> <P>(Article also has a photo showing two men h=
olding the meteorite with the following caption: Swiss geologists Marc Ha=
user, left, and Lorenz Moser present Mars meteorite Sayh al Uhaymir 094. =
Friday June 15, 2001 in Bern, Switzerland.)</P> <P>(Article also has a ma=
p of the Omen with parts of the surrounding countries a the following cap=
tion: Swiss scientists recently discovered a fist-sized meteorite from ma=
rs in the Oman desert.)</P></FONT><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2B0A9.AAFC0580--