[meteorite-list] The Winona Connection/Steve Schoner

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:00 2004

February 3, 2002

Greetings Mr. Steve Schoner, and Fellow Meteorite
Enthusiasts!

A thought occurred to me about your interesting post
regarding the octahedritic impactor that formed
Meteor Crater and its ties to being a possible iron
breccia of some sorts.

>From your intriguing research, you also stated in the
post that the famous Winona meteorites may be
directly linked to the space rock that created Meteor
Crater in the form of stony inclusions. With this
possibility, I think it is wise for a closer
examination of the outer surface on Winona fragments.
Despite my unfamiliarity with this type of meteorite
(including weathering grade), was there or are there
any signs of fusion crust present? If there is,
appearing like the crusts on so many studied
meteorite falls, (including any possible traces of
flow lines and orientation), then I would think
chances are that it may have broken off the iron mass
while still plummeting. On the other hand, if a
crust is present, but somehow different in origin as
through the heat generated by a major shock related
event, then suspicions point to the possibility that
it was thrown out of the crater like many of the iron
fragments were upon impact. But this brings up an
additional question, of which I have wondered about.
Is it known whether or not meteorite fragments that
survived a large impact event with earth, would still
possess fusion crusts of some sort and be different
in any way compared to common forms produced by
luminous flight?

Lastly, is it known if the Winona meteorites are
highly shocked?

In any event, I hope you will get permission to
investigate that possible fragment of another Winona
meteorite, to better prove your own suspicions.
Please keep in mind, however, that most of this
e-mail is just quick speculation.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA