[meteorite-list] The Winona Connection/Steve Schoner

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:00 2004

Mark,

With regards to the external characteristics of
Winona-- there is not fusion crust, and all the pieces,
and they were pieces were found in the burial crypt.
It was said that he meteorite broke into pieces when it
was lifted from the crypt-- but this has not certain,
as none of the pieces fit exactly togeter.

>From what I saw of the pieces that exist, fist sized,
is that they are very, very terrestrialized. Some of
them look almost exactly like meteorite oxide. And
nearly all of them have the odd green stain streaks.

I really doubt that this was an observed fall, and from
what I have seen I would say that this meteorite was on
the ground for many thousands of years.

And 50,000 would not be out of line at all.

I firmly believe that a systematic search of the Meteor
Crater area with this kind of material in mind will
bring up additional discoveries-- and settle the
question as to the origin of the Winona Meteorite.

Regards,
Steve Schoner

Mark Fox wrote