[meteorite-list] Re: Meteorites and *********

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:00 2004

No Craig, you've missed the point.

This list is about METEORITES. It is not about the creation/evolution
debate, which is what Mr. Nowak really wants to talk about.

Mr. Mohammed may be clueless, but at least he is trying to discuss what he
believes to be meteorites. The cat fight I don't think I should comment on
except to say that there was mention of the issue of export licenses. Even
if these two examples of yours were violations of list rules, that still
doesn't mean that "anything goes" here or that it should. Just because
O.J. Simpson got away with murder, that doesn't mean that I am free to kill
_my_ wife.

The topic of religion vs. evolution is a fight with no end. It will
destroy this list if given a chance to fester. Other list members are
already chiming in on the subject. PLEASE people! No matter how tempting
it may be, please DO NOT JUMP INTO any discussion of creationism or
evolution. I know, I know, it's so very TEMPTING... I almost blasted Mr.
"Appearance of Age" Nowak myself. But no matter how tempting it is,
BEWARE! It's a trap!

I am a very, very strong proponent of Free Speech. I am also a very strong
proponent of following clear and simple rules for list use. If Mr. Nowak
wants to discuss creation/evolution, I'm sure there are dozens of other
lists and newsgroups devoted to that topic. I don't post about meteorites
to those lists. Mr. Nowak should not post about religion here.

>So because this person posted something with which you (and several others)
>may disagree with, or that you (and several others) think inappropriate, you
>want him deleted/banned from the list? Do I agree with everything he
>says?...No. But it is his opinion, and he seems to vehemently believe it.
>C'est la vie.
>
>Yes, his posting certainly stretches the definition of "meteorite related"
>but no more so than the most recent "cat fight" between some of the dealers
>on the list, and I didn't see anyone imploring Art to ban them (again).
>
>Maybe we should ban Mohamed since his postings have so far have been simply
>about terrestrial rocks, even though he uses the word meteorite.
>
>Art has always demonstrated a very reasonable and tolerant management of this
>list, and I certainly think he's capable of continuing to do so.
>
>Relax folks....it's almost game time.
>
>Craig

Bob Martino Can you really name a star?
                                       http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/