[meteorite-list] More Pieces of Mars Found

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:00 2004

Hello Ron and List,

> the new meteorites bring the count to 24 fragments of the Red Planet

There are presently 23 non-Antarctic martian meteorites, 6 US-Antarctic,
and 4 Japanese Antarctic martian meteorites in my databases. Some of
these Martians are paired bringing the total to 24 martian meteorites
that are presently in my databases - in agreement with the count
reported.

> There is an unusual number of Antarctic Mars meteorites being reported

What is "unusual" about that number? It's 16 (world) : 5 (US-ANT) : 3
(Jap-ANT). I am sure that the number of Hot Desert Martians will keep
increasing over the next few years so that the above statement may be a
bit too rash.

> Just a fraction of 1% of all meteorites is Martian, Lindstrom said.

Agreed: => 24 Martians = 0,095 %

> About eight percent of meteorites are bits of the moon

Eight percent? There are 29 lunar meteorites minus the ones which are
paired or probably paired (9 or 10). So that figure should be 0.08 %
(!)

> Although the newest members of the Martian meteorite family
> are mostly from Antarctica, there is also one Saharan meteorite.

One Saharan Martian ??? There are 16 minus 7 paired ones => 9 (!)

Best wishes,

Bernd