[meteorite-list] Tribal Leaders Upset By Sale Of Meteorite Fragments

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:02 2004

--------------49ED63935E723608E4795817

Only some would sell their mother! Dirk Ross.....Tokyo

Ron Baalke wrote:

> http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&&news&ornews
>
> Tribal leaders upset by sale of meteorite fragments
> The Associated Press
> February 9, 2002
>
> GRAND RONDE, Ore. (AP) -- Grand Ronde tribal officials say they are saddened
> that pieces of the 15½-ton Willamette Meteorite, which they consider sacred,
> will be auctioned this weekend in Tucson, Ariz.
>
> The meteorite is the largest ever found in the United States. It was
> discovered 100 years ago in West Linn and was donated to the American Museum
> of Natural History in 1906.
>
> It is on display at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
> The pieces are among more than 100 meteorite specimens being auctioned by
> Darryl Pitt, curator of the Macovich Collection of Meteorites.
>
> He obtained one piece from the U.S. museum about four years ago and the
> other from the Natural History Museum in London about two months ago.
>
> "The tribe is saddened that there are people who would try to personally
> profit from selling pieces of the meteorite," according to a written
> statement the Grand Ronde issued Friday.
>
> The tribe said it won't buy the pieces because it "refuses to participate in
> or encourage the marketing of spiritually significant items."
>
> Tribal officials said Pitt should give the pieces to the tribe.
>
> Pitt said he has "the greatest respect for the Grand Ronde's beliefs." He
> suggested to American Museum of Natural History officials "that they
> purchase the specimens in my possession at a low price and just give these
> specimens to the Grand Ronde," Pitt said. "The American Museum was not
> interested in doing so."
>
> Two years ago, the Grand Ronde asked the New York museum to return the space
> rock, saying it was spiritually significant to the tribe. The tribe and
> museum settled their dispute with an agreement that allows the Grand Ronde
> access to the meteorite to hold religious and cultural ceremonies.
>
> The meteorite was considered a powerful cleansing and healing source to
> tribal members.

--------------49ED63935E723608E4795817

<HTML>
Only some would sell their mother!&nbsp;&nbsp; Dirk Ross.....Tokyo

<P>Ron Baalke wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><A HREF="http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&&news&ornews">http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&amp;&amp;news&amp;ornews</A>

<P>Tribal leaders upset by sale of meteorite fragments
<BR>The Associated Press
<BR>February 9, 2002

<P>GRAND RONDE, Ore. (AP) -- Grand Ronde tribal officials say they are
saddened
<BR>that pieces of the 15&frac12;-ton Willamette Meteorite, which they
consider sacred,
<BR>will be auctioned this weekend in Tucson, Ariz.

<P>The meteorite is the largest ever found in the United States. It was
<BR>discovered 100 years ago in West Linn and was donated to the American
Museum
<BR>of Natural History in 1906.

<P>It is on display at the American Museum of Natural History in New York
City.
<BR>The pieces are among more than 100 meteorite specimens being auctioned
by
<BR>Darryl Pitt, curator of the Macovich Collection of Meteorites.

<P>He obtained one piece from the U.S. museum about four years ago and
the
<BR>other from the Natural History Museum in London about two months ago.

<P>"The tribe is saddened that there are people who would try to personally
<BR>profit from selling pieces of the meteorite," according to a written
<BR>statement the Grand Ronde issued Friday.

<P>The tribe said it won't buy the pieces because it "refuses to participate
in
<BR>or encourage the marketing of spiritually significant items."

<P>Tribal officials said Pitt should give the pieces to the tribe.

<P>Pitt said he has "the greatest respect for the Grand Ronde's beliefs."
He
<BR>suggested to American Museum of Natural History officials "that they
<BR>purchase the specimens in my possession at a low price and just give
these
<BR>specimens to the Grand Ronde," Pitt said. "The American Museum was
not
<BR>interested in doing so."

<P>Two years ago, the Grand Ronde asked the New York museum to return the
space
<BR>rock, saying it was spiritually significant to the tribe. The tribe
and
<BR>museum settled their dispute with an agreement that allows the Grand
Ronde
<BR>access to the meteorite to hold religious and cultural ceremonies.

<P>The meteorite was considered a powerful cleansing and healing source
<BR>tribal members.

<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list
<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<BR><A HREF="http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</A></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>