[meteorite-list] Tribal Leaders Upset By Sale Of Meteorite Fragments

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:54:03 2004

--------------076D913E01F929DF992C1C4A

Listees:
   I am sorry my answer sounded so strong! But, to some Native
Americans this is the case! Dirk Ross.....I meant not to offend
anyone, as has been suggested.

drtanuki wrote:

> Only some would sell their mother! Dirk Ross.....Tokyo
>
> Ron Baalke wrote:
>
>> http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&&news&ornews
>>
>> Tribal leaders upset by sale of meteorite fragments
>> The Associated Press
>> February 9, 2002
>>
>> GRAND RONDE, Ore. (AP) -- Grand Ronde tribal officials say they are
>> saddened
>> that pieces of the 15½-ton Willamette Meteorite, which they consider
>> sacred,
>> will be auctioned this weekend in Tucson, Ariz.
>>
>> The meteorite is the largest ever found in the United States. It was
>>
>> discovered 100 years ago in West Linn and was donated to the
>> American Museum
>> of Natural History in 1906.
>>
>> It is on display at the American Museum of Natural History in New
>> York City.
>> The pieces are among more than 100 meteorite specimens being
>> auctioned by
>> Darryl Pitt, curator of the Macovich Collection of Meteorites.
>>
>> He obtained one piece from the U.S. museum about four years ago and
>> the
>> other from the Natural History Museum in London about two months
>> ago.
>>
>> "The tribe is saddened that there are people who would try to
>> personally
>> profit from selling pieces of the meteorite," according to a written
>>
>> statement the Grand Ronde issued Friday.
>>
>> The tribe said it won't buy the pieces because it "refuses to
>> participate in
>> or encourage the marketing of spiritually significant items."
>>
>> Tribal officials said Pitt should give the pieces to the tribe.
>>
>> Pitt said he has "the greatest respect for the Grand Ronde's
>> beliefs." He
>> suggested to American Museum of Natural History officials "that they
>>
>> purchase the specimens in my possession at a low price and just give
>> these
>> specimens to the Grand Ronde," Pitt said. "The American Museum was
>> not
>> interested in doing so."
>>
>> Two years ago, the Grand Ronde asked the New York museum to return
>> the space
>> rock, saying it was spiritually significant to the tribe. The tribe
>> and
>> museum settled their dispute with an agreement that allows the Grand
>> Ronde
>> access to the meteorite to hold religious and cultural ceremonies.
>>
>> The meteorite was considered a powerful cleansing and healing source
>> tribal members.

--------------076D913E01F929DF992C1C4A

<HTML>
Listees:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; I am sorry my answer sounded so strong!&nbsp;&nbsp; But,
to some Native Americans this is the case!&nbsp;&nbsp; Dirk Ross.....I
meant not to offend anyone, as has been suggested.

<P>drtanuki wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;Only some would sell their mother!&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dirk Ross.....Tokyo

<P>Ron Baalke wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><A HREF="http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&&news&ornews">http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/oregon/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?o0033_BC_OR--Meteorite&amp;&amp;news&amp;ornews</A>

<P>Tribal leaders upset by sale of meteorite fragments
<BR>The Associated Press
<BR>February 9, 2002

<P>GRAND RONDE, Ore. (AP) -- Grand Ronde tribal officials say they are
saddened
<BR>that pieces of the 15&frac12;-ton Willamette Meteorite, which they
consider sacred,
<BR>will be auctioned this weekend in Tucson, Ariz.

<P>The meteorite is the largest ever found in the United States. It was
<BR>discovered 100 years ago in West Linn and was donated to the American
Museum
<BR>of Natural History in 1906.

<P>It is on display at the American Museum of Natural History in New York
City.
<BR>The pieces are among more than 100 meteorite specimens being auctioned
by
<BR>Darryl Pitt, curator of the Macovich Collection of Meteorites.

<P>He obtained one piece from the U.S. museum about four years ago and
the
<BR>other from the Natural History Museum in London about two months ago.

<P>"The tribe is saddened that there are people who would try to personally
<BR>profit from selling pieces of the meteorite," according to a written
<BR>statement the Grand Ronde issued Friday.

<P>The tribe said it won't buy the pieces because it "refuses to participate
in
<BR>or encourage the marketing of spiritually significant items."

<P>Tribal officials said Pitt should give the pieces to the tribe.

<P>Pitt said he has "the greatest respect for the Grand Ronde's beliefs."
He
<BR>suggested to American Museum of Natural History officials "that they
<BR>purchase the specimens in my possession at a low price and just give
these
<BR>specimens to the Grand Ronde," Pitt said. "The American Museum was
not
<BR>interested in doing so."

<P>Two years ago, the Grand Ronde asked the New York museum to return the
space
<BR>rock, saying it was spiritually significant to the tribe. The tribe
and
<BR>museum settled their dispute with an agreement that allows the Grand
Ronde
<BR>access to the meteorite to hold religious and cultural ceremonies.

<P>The meteorite was considered a powerful cleansing and healing source
<BR>tribal members.

<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list
<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<BR><A HREF="http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</A></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>